Root Canal Treatment in Cary, NC
If a dental patient has severe tooth pain that seems to come from the root of the tooth, chances are that it is caused by an infection. Root canal therapy is a procedure that is used to eliminate the infection and relieve the pain. According to the American Association of Endodontists, American dentists perform approximately 15 million root canals each year, which makes it one of the most common dental procedures. From the office of Cary Implant and General Dentistry in Cary, NC, learn more about root canals and why this treatment is beneficial.
A root canal is a preferred alternative to extracting a tooth, which is why so many procedures are performed yearly. The ultimate purpose of this treatment is to save the patient’s original tooth, keeping it well-rooted, healthy and strong. When a tooth is extracted, the gums become vulnerable to decay, infection and loss of bone tissue. A root canal helps you avoid potentially expensive issues in the future.
A root canal is often completed in about two appointments. There are three main steps involved when getting this treatment:
1) The patient is sedated and the dentist uses special tools to access the tooth’s damaged tissue.
2) The dentist thoroughly cleans and disinfects the tooth, then fills it up with a substance called gutta-percha to protect it from future damage.
3) A crown is secured to the top of the tooth to reinforce and protect it. This is commonly done at a separate appointment.
The Benefits of Root Canal Therapy
Root canals are advantageous over other dental solutions in a few important ways:
- With a root canal you avoid the discomfort and inconvenience of having a tooth pulled.
- A root canal allows you to keep your original tooth and avoid the expense of a tooth replacement, like a dental implant or bridgework.
- Root canals have a high rate of effectiveness, meaning that in the majority of cases the tooth fully heals and strengthens over time.
A root canal could be the dental solution that you need to return your teeth to good health. Call Cary Implant and General Dentistry in Cary, NC at 919-481-0330 today!
“I'd Rather Have a Root Canal...” We've all heard that expression, but how true is it? Is root canal treatment really something to be feared, or does it actually offer relief? In this article, a common misconception is demystified. Get the real story about this much maligned procedure that eases pain, rather than causes it... Read Article
Root Canal Treatment for Children's Teeth You may think that if a baby tooth comes out prematurely, it's no great loss; after all, it was going to fall out anyway, right? Wrong! Primary (baby) teeth serve as important guides for the permanent teeth that will replace them. Losing baby teeth prematurely can allow bite problems to develop. Root canal treatment for children can prevent this. Learn what to look for in your child and what can be done to save baby teeth until they are ready to be lost naturally... Read Article
Tooth Pain? Don't Wait! Pain is a protective response that informs the body that something is wrong. Tooth pain, specifically, is caused by a reaction of the nerves inside a tooth's pulp chamber, with the severity dependent upon the type and degree of the stimulus. This article gives some examples of pain symptoms and their possible causes... Read Article